A beginner’s guide to digital marketing
Digital marketing (also known as data-driven marketing) is an umbrella term for the marketing of products or services using digital technologies, mainly on the Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising and any other digital medium. Words commonly used within digital marketing are “CTR”, ”CPA”, “Key words” and “Organic Traffic”. Navigating our way through these terms and how they can help your business can sometimes be quite overwhelming.
Ultimately, the point of digital marketing is to drive potential customers to your page, increase awareness of your business and stand out from competitors. We have compiled a cheat sheet beneath so that you are up-to-date with the most popular digital marketing jargon.
1. CPC: Cost-Per-Click. Cost per click is simply a measure of how much it will cost you to get someone to click on your ad. For example, as an advertiser, if you are paying a CPC rate of 10 cents per click and receive 100 clicks to your website, you would be charged $10 ($0.10 x 100). PPC is an interchangeable term for CPC and means Pay-Per-Click.
2. CTR: Click-Through Rate. Click-through Rate identifies the percentage of people who click on a link. Usually placed in an email, an ad or web page. The higher the CTR percentage, the more relevant the ad or link was to the audience. CTR is extremely important as it allows for a business to assess how effective their message was by looking at interest generated.
3. Impressions: This term is used to define the number of times a company’s advert will appear to its target audience for online advertising. The advert doesn’t even need to be clicked on to create an impression, just viewed!
4. Keyword: A keyword is a word or phrase that your audience uses to search for relevant topics on the internet. This word or phrase should generally describe or represent the contents on your businesses web page.
5. SEO: Search Engine Optimisation. This is the name given to activity that attempts to improve where your website sits in a given search. Typically, the higher your ranking, the more traffic generated. Activities that can help to increase your SEO include:
a. Updated, relevant, quality content on your website
b. Having other websites link to your website (back-links)
c. Sharing content on social media pages
6. Display Advertising: Display Advertising is an online advertising medium that relies on elements such as images, audio and video to communicate its message. The most common example of these is the banner adverts you see on websites.